A tract of land, Emsworth, was patented to John Wilkins. The name "Emsworth" is reported to have been the name of an old English Duke. The first settler, John Cheney, took up residence in 1802. In 1805 he sold the property of Emsworth to David and William Courtney. William married the daughter of William Dickson, who had been one of the first settlers in Ben Avon. William built a stone home on the property that is presently the athletic field along Ohio River Boulevard; the Courtneys raised and educated eighteen children. President Zachary Taylor was a guest in the Courtney home
The present Borough of Emsworth was crossed by the old Makintosh trail, which extended from Fort Pitt to what now is the Town of Beaver. Many families seeking to find their fortunes in the West were drawn to Emsworth because of its scenic beauty and location near waterways.
Served by the Avonworth School District, Emsworth is approximately one square mile in size, is still a very peaceful and well maintained borough, and is proud to be the home of young families as well as a number of senior citizens.